Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

Can I deny a social security number to CPS?

Child Custody Law


I reported my ex husband to CPS for hitting my daughter and leaving bruises . The CPS investigator is asking me for all social security numbers of all people who lives in my house. My boyfriend lives with me and he has some problems with child support with his previous marriage . He doesn’t want me to give CPS his SS  . . . what can I do ?


Your failure to cooperate fully with CPS will send up a red flag to CPS that there is something wrong and you are hiding something. Your children could be taken and put into foster care simply because of you refusing to cooperate with CPS as a safety precaution. You reported that your children were abused so you certainly should be expected to fully cooperate.

The other option would be that your boyfriend leave immediately and you then tell CPS that he refused to divulge his social security number so you had him leave for the protection of the children. Of course, the termination of the relationship would need to be permanent, as CPS discovering him there at some point in the future would certainly trigger a problem.

Bottom line is if CPS is conducting an investigation that involves abuse of your children, you must fully cooperate or you risk very bad consequences.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Click here to read more of Glendale family law attorney Patrick Sampair’s answer’s on Avvo: Can I deny a social security number to CPS?