Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: The Sampair Group

How do you file for divorce after 24 years of being separated?

Glendale divorce attorney

Question: How do you file for divorce after 24 years of being separated?

My mother has been seperated from my father for over 24 years. She doesn’t know where he lives. The last known residence was a prison in St. John’s, Arizona. She is looking to get remarried. How do you get a divorce without the other party present?


In order to obtain a divorce in Arizona, the Petitioner must serve the filed documents on the Respondent. In a case such as this, where his whereabouts are unknown, once she has done a diligent search to locate the other party, such as Internet, etc., if she is unable to locate him, she can serve him by publication in a newspaper. She does not have to succeed in locating him to get divorced, but she must make a diligent effort to do so.

The entire process takes about 120 days and many law firms, such as The Sampair Group can complete the process for a flat fee.

Congratulations to your mom.

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Offices Valley-wide:
Arrowhead: 17235 N. 75th Avenue, Suite E-100, Glendale, AZ
City North: 5450 E High St #300, Phoenix, AZ
East Valley: 1830 S. Alma School #114, Mesa, AZ

West Valley: 623.218.1000
Phoenix: 602.997.7717
East Valley: 480.636.1333

To read more of Phoenix divorce lawyer Patrick Sampair’s answers on Avvo and be sure to check out his divorce page, or if you have a question for Mr. Sampair ask him directly at Sampair Group.