Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: Sampair Group

Name Change After Divorce

Phoenix divorce attorney

If you changed your name when you got married, you may wish to change it back if you get divorced. There is only one way to change your name in a divorce case. You must ask the divorce court for to change your name in the final Divorce Decree. Permission will be granted in your Decree and this is all you need to be able to change your name. If the name change is not included in the Divorce Decree you will have to undergo a separate name change court case, which will lead to additional expense and time.

Once you have permission to change your name to your pre-marital name, you will want to start with the Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles. These two agencies have specific requirements as to what forms you need to complete and the proof you need to offer, which will include your court order. Once you have changed your name with these two entities, other name changes will be less complex. Be sure to notify the following:

  • Landlord
  • Bank
  • Retirement accounts
  • Credit cards
  • Professional licensing
  • Medical professionals that treat you and your children
  • Utilities
  • Employer
  • Health and dental insurance
  • Homeowner’s, renter’s, life, and auto insurance
  • Your child’s school, if you have children
  • Passport

You will also want to talk with your attorney about changing your name in your will, which is often done as a complete update to your will after your divorce.

The Sampair Group represents clients in divorce and family law in Maricopa County. Our lawyers are ready to meet with you to discuss your case. Call us today.