Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

Should I Change Back To My Maiden Name After Divorce? (Part 2)

Arizona Divorce Law

Have Valid Reason for Name Change

Changing your last name out of spite and hate against your ex isn’t exactly the most logical reason to do so, especially if you have children. Even if you change your last name, having children with your ex will automatically prevent you from ever having full disconnect with them, and spitefully changing your last name isn’t going to change that. Your reasons for changing your name should be because you want to do it for yourself. There is no rush to do so, so wait until you know you are ready.

Consider Your Job

If you work for a company where you have made a positive reputation for yourself, you may want to refrain from changing your last name, since that is the name that people associate you and your success with. This is especially applicable to authors, real estate agents, and other professions that reach a large demographic via a name that people remember.

If Your Ex Gets Remarried

Here is another situation to consider: you keep your ex-spouse’s last name but then they get remarried. Now it is not only you that has his last name, but his new wife as well. You may find that this is good reason to change your name back to your maiden name since another woman now shares that connection with you.

The Process To Change Your Name

Some people simply decide to keep their ex-spouse’s last name because the process is so difficult to complete. Between the DMV, social security, housing and other personal documents, changing your last name can be a very complicated process that people tend to try and avoid.

Changing your name after a divorce is your own personal decision. Surprise divorce attorneys at The Sampair Group will look at the circumstances of your case and your life to help you determine what would be the best decision for you. Contact us today at for a free consultation.