Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: Sampair Group

What If My Spouse Won’t Pay Spousal Support?

Phoenix divorce attorney

Spousal support (sometimes called alimony) is often one of the most hotly contested parts of a divorce. The spouse who is eligible for it frequently feels it is essential for financial stability, but the spouse who will be paying it may feel resentful and angry about having to make the payments. Some spouses say flat out that they simply won’t pay spousal support. This can sound rather final, but decisions about spousal support are made by the court and not by the person who will be paying it.

Once you have your order of spousal support, you should expect to paid as the order dictates. If your ex does not pay as directed, your attorney can file a petition to enforce spousal support with the support enforcement court. You are entitled to collect the regular support payments that have been ordered as well as the arrears (unpaid amounts).

The court will order your ex to make the payments. If he or she does not comply, the order can be enforced by:

Wage garnishment. Money will be automatically deducted from your ex’s paycheck and sent to you as payment.

Bank account levies. Funds in your ex’s bank account can be withdrawn by order of the court and paid to you.

Liens. A lien can be placed against your ex’s real estate or personal property, so that it cannot be sold without paying you what is owed.

Seizure of assets. Assets belonging to your ex can be seized by court order and sold or given to you.

Nonpayment of spousal support is a very frustrating situation. For an attorney that will stand up for your rights, call the Sampair Group. We regularly represent clients in Mesa, Glendale, and Phoenix in support enforcement cases and our attorneys are ready to help you.