Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: Sampair Group

Relocation Challenges: Navigating the Process When a Parent Moves Out of State

Arizona Divorce Law

We are a mobile society and rarely do families put down roots in one city or state and remain there for life. This is especially true when a couple divorces and many children live with one parent while the other is out of state. Coming up with a visitation schedule that works when one parent moves out of state takes careful planning. It is important to allow the children to spend time with both parents and maintain a strong relationship. The Courts take the need for both parents to play an active role in their kids’ lives seriously and enter orders that are in the best interests of the children.

While the laws of the state govern how a custody plan is made, there are some things that should be considered that are not found in the law books. These tips on what to do when one parent moves out of state will help you to develop a visitation plan that fits your needs:

  • Consider the distance and your child’s age, keeping in mind that if air travel is required the rules of the air for an unaccompanied minor come into play.
  •  Staying overnight for an extended period of time can be hard on younger children, especially in unfamiliar surroundings. Preparing your child for what to expect in the weeks leading up to an out of state visit can go a long way in calming nerves.
  • Have a plan for who will pay for expensive travel, or make arrangements to meet half way to cut down on expenses.

When necessary you can seek specific orders for your circumstances. In cases where the distance makes visitation difficult a modification of the custody and visitation schedule may be in order. The need to make a modification usually arises after the divorce is final and one parent moves out of state for work or remarriage. Asking the Court to take another look at previously entered orders requires filing a motion for modification and requires a showing as to why the change is needed. Our team of experienced family law attorneys can help you.

For more information about child custody and visitation for an out of state parent, consult a qualified legal professional. Let us put our experience to work for you. Call the Sampair Group in Phoenix and the West Valley today to schedule your appointment.