Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

Will My New Marriage Impact Child Support?

Surprise divorce law

In most states, the laws surrounding child support state that the remarriage of either parent should not have any impact on a child support agreement.

Even if the noncustodial parent remarries and takes in a new family (stepchildren, etc.), their responsibility to their first family is not eliminated.

Depending on any significant circumstances that take place after the divorce, the court may sometimes modify the child support order. This could include many happenings, including a loss of job or financial hardships. The court will review the circumstances with each parent and recalculate the new amount that must be paid for child support. If the spouse that has to pay child support is the one getting remarried, they may try and contest the amount now that they have to support a new spouse and family.

If this is the case, it is required that you are notified in advance of a court date to discuss these terms. In the time up until the case, you should consult with a Glendale child custody attorney to discuss your options and prepare an argument.

If your spouse remarries, it is likely that there will be no increase to your child support order, since new spouses are not legally responsible to help financially support their stepchildren. However, if your ex-spouse and their new spouse have children together, this could change things. Since some of your ex’s income must now include their biological children with their new spouse, your child support might be reduced. The more children there are to support, the more the monthly payments decrease.

Circumstances surrounding child support agreements can always change and there are many different steps that must be taken. For more assistance in making sure your child receives an adequate amount of child support in correlation with your ex-spouses income, contact The Sampair Group today at Sampair Group for a free consultation.