Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

Could my mom call the police on me if i were to pick up and just leave without telling her?

Phoenix family law attorney


Could my mom call the police on me if i were to pick up and just leave without telling her?

I’m 17 and can’t stay at my mom’s house anymore. It’s emotional abuse thats affecting my schooling and my life in general. If I were to pick up and leave without telling her could she call the police and would they return me to her? If I were to just leave what would the consequences be?


If your mom were to report you as a runaway and you were unwilling to live with her, the police would likely take you to Juvenile Court Dentition. You would be held there until a hearing could be scheduled with a Judge, you’re parents and likely CPS.

If the judge finds that it is in your best interest not to return to your mom’s home, or that you would likely run away again, you could be placed in foster care until your 18th birthday.

It is extremely unlikely that you would be allowed to live with “friends,” even with adult supervision. If there is any way to work this out with your mom, that is likely your best option.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Offices Valley-wide:
Arrowhead: 17235 N. 75th Avenue, Suite E-100, Glendale, AZ
City North: 5450 E High St #300, Phoenix, AZ
East Valley: 1830 S. Alma School #114, Mesa, AZ

West Valley: 623.218.1000
Phoenix: 602.997.7717
East Valley: 480.636.1333

To read more of Phoenix child custody law attorney Patrick Sampair’s answers on Avvo and be sure to check out his child custody page, or if you have a question for Mr. Sampair ask him directly at Sampair Group.