Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead

Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead

By: rainmaker rainmaker

My parents are divorced, can I pick who I want to live with?

Phoenix family law attorney


My parents are divorced, can I pick who I want to live with?

I’m 16 and my parents have been divorced for a few years now. When I’m at my dad’s he gets really angry really fast and blames all his problems on me and normally will take his anger out on me by hitting me, sitting on me, etc. I told my dad I was going to stay with my mom and he said no, by law he picks where I go. Is this true? Can I choose where I want to live?


No, you can not chose where you want to live until your 18th birthday.

Your mother, on the other hand can request that the court modify the Parenting Time; that is the time that you have with your father. She can also ask that you be interviewed by someone from the court. Although you do not get to decide what is best for you, yet, at 16 the judge must take your wishes into consideration.

If your mom is unwilling to file for a modification, your best bet is to tough it out until your 18th birthday. As well, if you feel that you are being abused, you do have the right to call the police, but I would encourage you to avoid that if at all possible as it may also make things go from bad to worse between you and your dad.

You can let your mom know that we would be happy to discuss the matter with her for free, although you legally can not participate in the consultation.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Offices Valley-wide:
Arrowhead: 17235 N. 75th Avenue, Suite E-100, Glendale, AZ
City North: 5450 E High St #300, Phoenix, AZ
East Valley: 1830 S. Alma School #114, Mesa, AZ

West Valley: 623.218.1000
Phoenix: 602.997.7717
East Valley: 480.636.1333

To read more of Phoenix child custody law attorney Patrick Sampair’s answers on Avvo and be sure to check out his child custody page, or if you have a question for Mr. Sampair ask him directly at: