Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

The In-Law Divorce

Surprise divorce attorney

When your marriage ends, you divorce your spouse, but in many ways you also divorce your in-laws. Your ex’s parents are going to side with your ex on just about everything, no matter how close your relationship was. Losing an entire branch of what you thought of as your family can be very hard. It’s as if a wall is put into place, suddenly closing you out from these people that you thought loved and accepted you. It takes time to accept this change and to forgive your in-laws for transgressions you see.

If you have children with your ex, your relationship with your in-laws will not end, but it must by necessity, change. Your child will continue to have a close relationship with all of these people and you may see them at events like graduations, communions, bar mitzvahs and even your child’s wedding in the future. Because of this, it can be very helpful to create a new relationship with your child’s grandparents by letting them know you respect and support their role in your child’s life.

In addition to saying the right things, it helps to do things to support this relationship. If you are the residential parent, be mindful of the fact that your former in-laws only have access to your child during your ex’s scheduled parenting time. Allowing your child to attend important family events at other times might be something you are willing to do. If your ex rarely uses his or her scheduled visitation, you might consider reaching out to your child’s grandparents and allowing them some access so that their relationship can continue.

Even if you don’t care for your in-laws, remember that your child has a relationship with them and it can be hurtful to say unkind things about them in front of your child.

The Sampair Group is ready to represent you in your divorce or family law case. Make an appointment with one of our attorneys in Maricopa County today.