Change isn't Always Negative we can help there is a positive future ahead
Change isn't Always Negative, we can help you move on there is a positive future ahead
By: rainmaker rainmaker

How can I get my child’s father to sign over his rights?

Arizona Divorce Law

Question: How can I get my child’s father to sign over his rights? He only talks to our daughter when it’s convenient for him. He goes a year at a time without talking to her and my partner is ready to adopt my child. What legal steps do I need to take?


When the father has not had contact with the child for more than six months, you can file a Severance Petition. The way you word your question does make me ask if you have court orders regarding Paternity, Legal Decision Making (Custody), Parenting Time, and Child Support. If he is not obeying the Orders, they can be modified or enforced.

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Offices Valley-Wide:
Arrowhead: 17235 N. 75th Avenue, Suite E-100, Glendale, AZ
City North: 5450 E High St #300, Phoenix, AZ
East Valley: 1830 S. Alma School #114, Mesa, AZ

West Valley: 623.218.1000
Phoenix: 602.997.7717
East Valley: 480.636.1333

To read more of Phoenix child custody law attorney Patrick Sampair’s answers on Avvo and be sure to check out his child custody page, or if you have a question for Mr. Sampair ask him directly at Sampair Group.